Monday, November 6, 2017

Playlist, Week of 2017-11-05

abrahms-mitchell-lewis-691px

Saddened to hear of Muhal Richard Abram's death... a major inspirational figure for me, both in his playing and composing, and in his stature as a leader and mentor for so, so many musicians, of the AACM and beyond... check out Brian Olewnick's piece on him written last year... Olewnick says: "I doggedly followed along for a good while, however, I think up until "One Line, Two Views" (New World, 1995) at which point I gave up. So I may well have missed some fine music subsequently." Yes, Brian, you did... besides the several live recordings of Muhal trios with Roscoe Mitchell and George Lewis (plus the album Streaming), there were many other recordings of note from the last twenty years: Spectrum, Made in Chicago, Vision Towards Essence, the 2016 Milan quintet date, and the incredible Experimental Band live recording from 2012... after I finish my Threadgill sweep, I'll definitely need to go through all my Muhal recordings... I've been enjoying exploring various Krautrock groups over the past few years... on one hand, I regret not being exposed to the music of Can, FaustAmon Düül II, Faust, Neu, etc. when it first came out... on the other hand, I probably wasn't ready for it then... I definitely wasn't ready for Sun Ra when I was younger... I'm still learning...

Playlist 2017-11-06

*Air: Air Mail
*Tim Berne's Snakeoil: Incidentals
*Anthony Braxton: Trillium J (disc 1)
*Paul Chambers: Go...
*Pete Christlieb/Warne Marsh Quintet: Apogee
*Barry Guy New Orchestra & Elliott Sharp: 2009-11-06 Berlin (CDR)
*Barry Guy New Orchestra: Amphi • Radio Rondo
*Noah Howard: The Black Ark
*Roscoe Mitchell: Bells for the South Side (disc 1)
*New Ting Ting Loft: 2017-10-23 "Value-Added Air" (wav)
*Tom Rainey Trio: 2017-09-09 Jazz Gallery, NYC (wav) (disc 1)
*Tyshawn Sorey: Verisimilitude
*James Blood Ulmer with The Thing: Baby Talk
*Nate Wooley: Battle Pieces 2
*Iannis Xenakis: Terretektorh/Nomos Gamma
*Amon Düül II: The UA Years 1969-1974
*Animal Collective: Painting With
*Becker and Fagen: Early Demos and More (1969-81)
*Big Walnuts Yonder: Big Walnuts Yonder
*Tommy Bolin & Friends: Live at Ebbets Field June 3 & 4, 1974
*Deerhoof: Mountain Moves
*Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings (disc 9)
*ESP Ohio: Starting Point Of The Royal Cyclopean

No comments:

Post a Comment