Monday, October 21, 2013

Playlist, Week of 2013-10-20

So, here's some of what I've been listening to for the past week. These playlists won't be complete: I don't keep track of everything I play on my iPod. I can say that the Magic Jukebox is loaded with a lot of Beatles, Beach Boys, and Sun Ra--so even if they don't show up on my playlist every week, not a week goes by without my listening to several songs by one or all of those artists. I tend to play the Magic Jukebox when I'm doing dishes or trying to wake up. Mornings are rough. I'm not a morning person.

For the last few years I've been picking an artists and listening to everything I have by them in rough chronological order. It's fun to do; I get reacquainted with lots of stuff I haven't revisited in a while, and I get a different perspective on their work in the process. So far, I have gone through all my recordings of Cecil Taylor, Anthony Braxton, the Art Ensemble of Chicago, Sam Rivers, Charles Mingus, and Andrew Hill.  The next three are biggies:  Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and then Sun Ra. I was putting off Sun Ra for a while because I was following along with Sun Ra Sundays, but those are up to 1978 or '79 now, and I want to go back and start again from the beginning. That'll be a while, though. I just started Miles, and there's a hefty amount of great stuff to get through!

At any rate, here's my playlist for last week:

Playlist 2013-10-21:

*Anthology of Noise and Electronic Music vol. 2: Second a-chronology 1936-2003 (discs 1, 2)
*Beethoven: Symphony Nos. 1, 3, 6 (Vienna State Opera Orchestra, Hermann Scherchen cond.)
*Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 (Wiener Philharmoniker, Leonard Bernstein cond.)
*AMM: 1970-03-02 London (CDR)
*Miles Davis: In Person Friday and Saturday Nights at the Blackhawk, Complete (discs 1-3)
*Miles Davis & Gil Evans: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings (disc 4)
*Charles Mingus: The Jazz Workshop Concerts 1964-65 (disc 5)
*New Ting Ting Loft: 2013-09-16 “Charts ‘n’ Chops” (wav)
*New Ting Ting Loft: 2013-09-30 “Random Parameters” (wav)
*New Ting Ting Loft: 2013-10-07 “Invitation to Ramble” (wav)
*Herbie Nichols: The Complete Blue Note Recordings (disc 1)
*Subtle Body Transmission Orchestra: 2013-10-05 Sonic Circuits Festival, Washington DC (wav)
*Sun Ra: Cosmo Earth Fantasy: Sub Underground Series Vol. 1 & 2 (Art Yard)
*Sun Ra’s Intergalactic Research Arkestra: 1971-11-11 Delft, Netherlands (CDR)
*When: Homage Series Vol. 1: Sun Ra
*Wrest: Wrest (Jack Wright/Evan Lipson/Ben Bennett) Spring Garden Music 18
*John Zorn: The Dreamers
*Lily Allen: It’s Not Me, It’s You
*Allied Chemical Brothers: Cryptic Snippets
*Beach Boys: Live: The 50th Anniversary Tour (disc 2)
*Mike Elder/Harry Forrest/Sam Byrd: 2013-10-11 (wav)
*Mike Elder/Harry Forrest/Greg Jordan/Sam Byrd: 2013-10-18 (wav)
*Brian Eno & David Byrne: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
*Grateful Dead: 1989-10-26 Miami (CDR) “Dark Star”
*Grateful Dead: View From the Vault II (1990-07-12) "Dark Star"
*Grateful Dead: 1990-09-20 NYC (CDR) “Space>Dark Star>Playing in the Band Reprise>Dark Star”
*Happy the Man: Happy the Man
*Happy the Man: Crafty Hands
*Happy the Man: “Better Late…”
*Mr. Bungle: California
*Stock, Hausen, & Walkman: Stock, Hausen, & Walkman’s Hangups
*Various artists: Alrealon Musique 2011-2012 Media Sampler


No comments:

Post a Comment