Saturday, October 19, 2013

Intro

OK, here is it is, over a decade into the 21st century, and I'm starting a blog. I'll flesh this out as I go along, but for now I'm seeing this as part commonplace book, part stockpile of lists, part updates on musical activities, part light criticism, and part repository for some of my earlier writing. There probably won't be many pictures. The title of this blog comes, of course, from Sun Ra's poem "The Far Off Place" (later appearing as the lyrics to "I'll Wait for You"):

In some far off place
Many light years in Space
I’ll wait for you
Where human feet have never trod
Where human eyes have never seen
I'll build a world of abstract dreams
And wait for you.

I hope to write some about Sun Ra at some point, but for now the best I can do is point you to another blog, a major inspiration for these ramblings: Rodger Coleman's excellent NuVoid.  Among tons of excellent music writing, Rodger has a long ongoing series on Sun Ra's music he calls Sun Ra Sunday.  Highly recommended!

For a few years now, I've been posting lists of what I've been listening to and what I've been reading on Rodger's blog, in the comments section.  I'll continue to do that, but I'll probably post those lists here as well. There will probably be a fair amount of lists here. In many ways, I live by the list. I like to keep them, and I try to follow them (when they're that kind of list). More on that later too.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out, Sam! I have been sort of neglecting the blog lately, though I intend to get back to it. So glad to see you here!!

    ReplyDelete