Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Reading Plan for 2024 and Beyond

 


I have been planning to do this for a while, but I have finally embarked on reading Three Kingdoms, the massive classic Chinese novel atributed to Luo Guanzhong. I am reading the 4-volume translation by Moss Roberts. The book is challenging not just because of the proliferation of similar and unfamiliar names, but because of the episodic quality of the narrative: one battle after another, with shifting loyalties, betrayals, and realignments. All this this is to say that while this will be my main novel for the next few months (the book is over 2000 pages long), I also fully expect to be distracted from time to time... 

I am also continuing my long-range plan to read all of the Arden 2nd and 3rd series Shakespeares. By my calculations I almost two-thirds of the way through this. Next up are the Henry IV-Henry V history plays.

My TBR piles are all over the place. I am going to dip into some more Finnegans Wake-related criticism in preparation for another reread in a few years. Other plans include finishing rereading Ross Macdonald's Lew Archer novels, and rereading Middlemarch and some late Henry James. So, reading and rereading basically. Eventually I am hoping for more Malazan books, and I may even dip into Wheel of Time, after enjoying the Amazon series so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment