Friday, May 31, 2019

Finnegan Again

Image result for joyce finnegans wake oxford

I'm doing it. I'm taking the plunge and rereading Finnegans Wake. I first read it in the '80s and it was a mind-blowing experience. This time, I am reading the Oxford World's Classics edition, edited by Robbert-Jan Henkes and Erik Bindervoet, and I am also reading along with the massive recording of the whole book as read by Patrick Healy. Reading it this way adds a whole other dimension to the experience, seeing the  words and hearing one aspect of them aloud at the same time, especially with Healy's strong Irish accent. He reads at a pretty pace, so it's pretty bracing to immerse yourself in this world this way. But as quick as it might go this way, it's still a long laborious read.... laborious in a good way. It's big fun. Even so, this book will be appearing on my Reading Lists "in progress" for quite some time, I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment