Monday, December 10, 2018

Playlist, Week of 2018-12-09

Duke Ellington: The Reprise Studio Recordings

I find that I like to have some kind of game plan in my listening... still leaves lots of room for serendipity... hence my working through the discography of Craig Taborn... the David Binney and Chris Potter albums were new to me... not as much Taborn as I would have liked!... next week I'll start working through several live performances of his with David Torn... And hence my going through all the Anthony Braxton recordings I have with Mary Halvorson... And hence my digging into the Mosaic box of Duke Ellington Reprise recordings... Lots of gems in there, even some of the Mary Poppins material... Ellington and Billy Strayhorn spun gold from dross for years... Had a wonderful trio session with cellist Gary Rouzer and Jimmy Ghaphery over the weekend... for inspiration, he suggested checking out the Tr!o recording, which is really nice... Still absorbing the sessions with Rodger Coleman... conceptualizing potential albums... Had an opportunity to sit down with my brother and check out some of the new Dark Carpet material... rocking as always.... waiting for that next album!... As always, I feel behind in my listening....

Playlist 2018-12-10:

*David Binney: Out of Airplanes
*David Binney: Cities and Desire
*Anthony Braxton: Septet (Pittsburgh) 2008
*Anthony Braxton Diamond Curtain Wall Quartet: 2008-06-27 Besancon (CDR)
*Anthony Braxton: Quartet (Moscow) 2008
*Anthony Braxton Diamond Curtain Wall Trio: 2008-07-02 Tivoli (CDR)
*Anthony Braxton Septet: "Accelerator Ghost Dance" 2008-07-25 San Sebastian (CDR)
*Elliott Carter: A Nonesuch Retrospective (disc 3)
*Günter Christmann/Paul Lovens/Mats Gustafsson: Tr!o (selections)
*Rodger Coleman and Sam Byrd: 2017-11-19 Nashville (rough mix wav)
*Rodger Coleman and Sam Byrd: 2017-11-20 Nashville (rough mix wav)
*Duke Ellington: The Reprise Studio Recordings (discs 3, 4, 5)
*Esquivel & His Orchestra: Complete 1954-1962 Recordings (disc 5)
*Kate Gentile: Mannequins
*Dave Holland: Prism
*Makaya McCraven: Highly Rare (streaming)
*New Ting Ting Loft: 2018-11-17 Sediment, RVA (wav)
*Hermeto Pascoal & Grupo: No Mundo Dos Sons (disc 2)
*Chris Potter: Follow the Red Line: Live at the Village Vanguard
*Henry Threadgill: Double Up, Plays Double Up Plus
*John Zorn/Simulacrum: Simulacrum
*Gang Font Feat. Interloper: The Gang Font Feat. Interloper
*Dark Carpet: 2018 selections
*King Crimson: 1972 unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment