Monday, June 4, 2018

Playlist, Week of 2018-06-03



Everything blossoms out from everything else... I was blown away by Craig Taborn at Big Ears, and I keep thinking about his playing, there, so I have been exploring his music, which leads to Lotte Anker, Drew Gress, Tim Berne, Tom Rainey... and then I think of Kris Davis, which leads to Ingrid Laubrock, Mary Halvorson, and doubles back to Tom Rainey... which makes me think of David Torn, which of course leads back to Craig Taborn... and this is just one relatively small circle of connections... all this while exploring early electronic music, music for dance by Cage and Tudor, and AMM... Throw in Jefferson Pilot and Roscoe Mitchell... and ..I love how music coalesces and coexists in my brain, even as I have difficulty keeping it all there...and somehow all this listening helps inform and influence my own playing even as I recognize that my style, such as it is, has little if anything to do with most of what I listen to... I am not that technically adept and do not often find myself in the kinds of settings of the music I listen to... but the settings I create along with others are definitely informed by what I listen to, however obliquely... You are what you eat...

Playlist 2018-06-04:

*Muhal Richard Abrams: Things to Come from Those Now Gone
*AMM: 1989-10-07 London (CDR) (disc 2)
*Lotte Anker/Craig Taborn/Gerald Cleaver: Triptych
*Bob Crosby and His Bob Cats: March of the Bob Cats
*Kris Davis: Rye Eclipse
*Miles Davis: Bitches Brew “Bitches Brew”
*Drew Gress: The Sky Inside
*Roscoe Mitchell: Hey Donald
*Roscoe Mitchell Quartet: In Walked Buckner
*Roscoe Mitchell: Sustain and Run
*Roscoe Mitchell/Montreal-Toronto Art Orchestra: Ride the Wind
*New Ting Ting Loft: 2018-04-02 "Hold It Against Me" (wav)
*Paradoxical Frog: Union
*Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble: The Eleventh Hour
*Sun Ra: selections (Bandcamp streaming)
*Various artists: The 1930s- Big Bands
*Allman Brothers: At Fillmore East (side 4)
*Chairmen of the Board: Greatest Hits
*Dark Carpet: 2018-04-27 Brooklyn, NY (CDR)
*Michael Hurley: Hi Fi Snock Uptown
*Louis Prima: Louis Prima (Capitol Collectors Series)
*Sugar: Copper Blue
*Various artists: History of Electronic/Electroacoustic Music (CDR compilation) (disc 11)
*Various artists: Music for Merce (1952-2009) (disc 3)
*Various artists: Technicolor Paradise: Rhum Rhapsodies & Other Exotic Delights (disc 1)
*Various artists: Eccentric Soul: A Red Black & Green Production
*Brian Wilson: No Pier Pressure
*XTC: English Settlement (2016 original master ed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment