Monday, June 13, 2016

Playlist, Week of 2016-06-12






















1979 it was, and I was there, and I recorded it on my old condenser-microphone hand-held Sony. The cassettes have been sitting in my card catalog cabinet for years, but I hadn't gotten around to burning it yet (kinda got sidetracked with all the old Tad Thaddock and UYA tapes, but that's another story). Then an old friend, Clay, asked me if I still had my cassette--his had been stolen from his car. So I was happy to dig it out and digitize it for him, and I'm so glad I did. The sound was pretty damn good, and the performance was outstanding. Pip Pyle's one of my favorite drummers: jazz chops with a rock sensibility, and the ability to navigate extremely tricky time signatures and complex arrangements with ease, dexterity, and fun, making it all sound easy. Trying to play along with old Hatfield and National Health records has proven to me that it's not! He was brilliant, really one-of-a-kind.

Playlist 2016-06-13:

*Beethoven: The “Late Period” String Quartets (Alban Berg Quartet) No. 12
*Various artists: Anthology of Noise and Electronic Music #7: Seventh and Last a-Chronology 1930-2012
*Art Ensemble of Chicago: 1980-04-30 Konstanz, Germany (CDR)
*Art Ensemble of Chicago: 1980-07-19 Den Haag, Netherlands (CDR)
*Rodger Coleman: recent studio selections (2016) (wav/mp3)
*John Coltrane: 1965-09-30 Seattle (CDR)
*John Coltrane: Live at the Village Vanguard Again!
*Duke Ellington and His Orchestra: The Treasury Shows, Vol. 4 (disc 2)
*Ingrid Laubrock & Liam Noble: Let’s Call This...
*Ingrid Laubrock with Liam Noble & Tom Rainey: Sleepthief
*Ingrid Laubrock Quintet: 2014-01-22 Brooklyn NY (CDR)
*Ingrid Laubrock/Tom Rainey: Buoyancy
*Charles Mingus: A Modern Jazz Symposium Of Music And Poetry
*Evan Parker & AMM: Title Goes Here
*Sun Ra: What’s New (side 1)
*Sun Ra & His Intergalactic Research Arkestra: The Invisible Shield (2014 remaster)
*Sun Ra & His Arkestra: Out There a Minute
*Sun Ra: Unreleased test pressing tracks, NYC, 1965 (CDR)
*Henry Threadgill & Make a Move: Where’s Your Cup?
*Claypool Lennon Delirium: Monolith of Phobos
*Meters: Funkify Your Life (disc 1)
*National Health: Missing Pieces
*National Health: 1977-11-16 Kingston upon Hull, England (CDR)
*National Health: 1979-11-28 Washington DC (CDR)
*Amy Winehouse: Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment