Monday, June 2, 2014

Playlist, Week of 2014-06-01



Playlist 2014-06-02:

*AMM with John Butcher: Trinity
*Miles Davis: 1973-10-29 Copenhagen (CDR)
*Duke Ellington: The Complete 1936-1940 Variety, Vocalion, and Okeh Small Group Sessions (disc 6)
*Duke Ellington: The Private Collection, Vol. 2: Studio Sessions Chicago 1957, New York 1962
*Charles Mingus: The Jazz Workshop Concerts 1964-65 (disc 3)
*Roscoe Mitchell and the Sound Ensemble: Snurdy McGurdy and Her Dancin’ Shoes
*Parker/Guy/Lytton/Schlippenbach Trio: 2x3=5
*Subtle Body Transmission Orchestra: 2013-10-05 Atlas, Washington, DC (video>mp3)
*Subtle Body Transmission Orchestra: 2014-05-03 Mt. Rainier, MD (video>mp3)
*Sun Ra: Discipline I (cassette compilation)
*John Zorn/Yamantaka Eye: Nani Nani
*John Zorn: Astaroth: Book of Angels Vol. 1: Jamie Saft Trio Plays Masada Book Two
*Acid Mothers Temple: Pataphisical Freak Out MU!!
*Lily Allen: Alright, Still
*Scott Brookman (unreleased selections 2014)
*Roky Erickson & the Aliens: The Evil One
*Guided By Voices: Class Clown Spots a UFO
*Robert Pollard: Mouseman Cloud
*Yellow Dress: Faint Music//Ordinary Light (streaming)

Every time I listen to Roscoe Mitchell I am reminded that I don't listen to him enough! Of course, that's true for many artists I listen to. Still, this one's one of my favorites: marches, funk, abstract sound, free bop, and as always: Mitchell's sometime acerbic, always gut-bucket/free/powerful playing. He's definitely one of my all-time favorite saxophonists.

2 comments:

  1. For Roscoe, try recently-released "Conversations I" on Wide Hive. There is a second part out, have not heard that, but the "1" is marvelous. Of course, there is plenty of Roscoe out there, not to mention AEC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I've been reading about that release; I'll be sure to check it out. There -is- plenty of Roscoe out there. About three years ago I did my chronological listening thing with all my Art Ensemble recordings, and it was great fun. I plan on going through all my Roscoe discs soon, maybe after Miles.

      Delete