Monday, June 5, 2023

Playlist, Week of 2023-06-04


Here's the thing-- music is always going on in my head... usually it's a random melody I've been thinking about, or a song I've heard recently on the Magic Jukebox, or from my weekly directed listening (as documented in these Playlists)... but occasionally I'll wake up and there'll be a song in my head that I haven't heard or even thought about in... weeks, if not months, if not years... when that happens I take it as a message from the Music Gods that I need to listen to it again, as soon as possible... case in point: this past Sunday it was "Walkin' the Line" from Brian Wilson's first solo album... where on earth did that come from?... so I played the album, and it was sooo enjoyable... despite the fact that most of the songs have snatches of melody with eerie resemblances to earlier Beach Boys songs, or other ones (like "Little Children" and its nod to "Mountain of Love"), these songs are just wonderful... even the outdated overproduction can't stop them... the album is a worthy successor to The Beach Boys Love You, with its simplistic melodies that are, well, simple and almost amateurish but oh so catchy... easily his best solo record, Brian Wilson has a special place in my heart, and I guess my brain was reminding me of that...  Other than that, I ended up hitting Sun Ra pretty heavily this week... 

Playlist 2023-06-05:

*AMM: Laminal (disc 1)
*Beatles: Revolver (Super Deluxe 4 LP Edition 2022) (side 1)
*Anthony Braxton: 12 Duets (DCWM) 2012 (disc 7)
*Anthony Braxton: Quintet (Tristano) 2014 (discs 6, 7)
*Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young: Take My Hand (Fillmore East 1970-06) (disc 2)
*Miles Davis: Bitches Brew (side 3)
*Deerhoof: Miracle-Level
*Grateful Dead: Blues for Allah (side 1)
*Jefferson Pilot: The Return of Troubled Youth Orchestra
*Merzbow/Keiji Haino/Balázs Pándi: An Untroublesome Defencelessness
*New Ting: 2019-09-30 "Emulsify My Desires" (wav)
*Annette Peacock: I'm the One (side 2)
*Rolling Stones: Their Satanic Majesties Request (2016 mono remaster)
*Sparks: The Girl Is Crying in Her Latte (sides 1, 2)
*Sun Ra and His Astro Infinity Arkestra: My Brother the Wind, Vol. 2
*Sun Ra and His Intergalactic Solar Arkestra: Space Is the Place (previously unreleased tracks) (streaming)
*Sun Ra & His Arkestra: The Cymbals​/​Symbols Sessions (New York, 1973) (sides 3, 4)
*Sun Ra and His Arkestra: Voice of the Eternal Tomorrow
*Sun Ra: Hiroshima (side 2)
*Sun Ra: God Is More than Love Can Ever Be!
*Sun Ra Arkestra: Reflections in Blue
*Sun Ra Arkestra: 2023-04-01 Big Ears Festival, Knoxville TN (CDR)
*Horace Tapscott with the Pan-Afrikan Peoples Arkestra: Live at I.U.C.C. (disc 2)
*Tarbaby: Fanon
*Cecil Taylor: Conquistador! "With (Exit)"
*Cecil Taylor: garden (disc 1) "Elell"
*Cecil Taylor: 1997-03-06 Oberlin, OH (CDR)
*Various artists: '60s Far East Pop and Rock n Roll (CDR compilation)
*Various artists: WSAM: Grab Bag of Joy (CDR compilation)
*Anna Webber: Idiom (disc 2)
*Tony Williams Lifetime: Emergency!
*Brian Wilson: Brian Wilson
*Work: Live in Japan
*Neil Young: Twisted Road (CDR compilation)
*Frank Zappa: Hot Rats
*John Zorn: The Dreamers

No comments:

Post a Comment