Monday, July 2, 2018

Playlist, Week of 2018-07-01




Trying to keep a balance between new discoveries and older, well-loved classics... with limited time and a finite future, will I ever deeply love any new music the way I have come to love Mingus Dynasty, one of the first jazz records I loved (my dad's LP)?... will I successfully identify and peg the new music I am exposed to now as being as worthy of my time and attention as The Far East Suite has proven to be?... some music is meant to be of its time only, I suppose... what lasts is a matter of personal taste and inclination as much as any cultural status accorded by...who? fans, critics, bean-counters?... Wide-ranging exposure is good... No longer do I have the time to live with a few albums and play them over and over and over... well, I could, of course, but there's just so much out there... my ears are greedy... Connecting again with Annette Peacock's wonderful vocals on the first Bruford album... amazingly, I hadn't known that the Rock Goes to College set had also been filmed and is available on youtube... she's amazing in this, the only live set I know of of this band with both her on vocals and Allan Holdsworth on guitar...

Playlist 2018-07-02:

*AMM: 1994-05-16 Bielefeld, Germany (CDR)
*Atomic: Retrograde (selections)
*Anthony Braxton: Sextet (Parker) 1993 (discs 4, 5)
*Anthony Braxton Zim Sextet: 2018-05-29 London (CDR)
*Bill Bruford: Feels Good to Me
*Bruford: Rock Goes to College
*Rodger Coleman and Sam Byrd: The Mathematics of War
*Duke Ellington: The Far East Suite
*Mats Gustafsson/Craig Taborn: Ljubljana
*Large Unit: Erta Ale (disc 3)
*Large Unit with Marshall Allen: 2018-06-17 Philadelphia (CDR)
*Arto Lindsay/Paal Nilssen-Love: Scarcity
*Charles Mingus: Mingus Dynasty
*Ikue Mori: In Light of Shadows
*New Ting Ting Loft: 2018-06-25 "Wood and Wires" (wav)
*Tyshawn Sorey: Verisimilitude
*Sun Ra: Sun Ra Radio Premier, Part 3 (streaming)
*Various artists: WSAM: Some Jazz (CDR compilation)
*Ben Webster: King of the Tenors
*Dirty Projectors: Dirty Projectors
*Gang of Four: Solid Gold / Another Day Another Dollar
*King Crimson: 1971-04-14 Frankfurt
*King Crimson: 1971-04-15 Frankfurt
*King Crimson: 1971-08-10 London
*Tito Puente: The Complete 78s: Vol. 2 (disc 2)
*Shardik: Shardik
*Various artists: WSAM: Summer on the radio (CDR compilation)
*Various artists: WSAM: Grooves for Grammaw (CDR compilation)
*Various artists: Music for Merce (1952-2009) (discs 7, 8)
*Yes: 1976-06-17 Jersey City, NJ (CDR) (disc 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment